This is seriously one of THE BEST articles on fitness & pregnancy. I love the meal plan!
As long as all is well, there are no complications, and your doctor gives you the go ahead…there is no reason to NOT continue working out as you have before. You will obviously have to modify a few things along the way.
You don’t have to “eat for two”–you only need an extra 300-400 calories per day.
You don’t have to “take it easy” (if the pregnancy is uncomplicated)–you can continue your fitness routine with modifications.
My goal is to be as healthy, strong & energetic throughout pregnancy as I can manage. It’s best for the baby, and will make pregnancy & childbirth easier for me!
As you can see, I have majorly slacked in posting on this blog! I am 9 weeks pregnant with my third child. This is my first pregnancy since I’ve become more dedicated to fitness 3 years ago. I have been homeschooling my oldest (Kindergarden!) and working my home-based business with ItWorks. Life has been busy!
I have learned a lot in the past few weeks about staying fit through pregnancy. This article on Bodybuilding.com is my favorite that I have come across so far. It is certainly worth a read for anyone trying to conceive or mamas who are expecting! For me personally, with the first trimester taking a toll on my energy levels, I have noticed that I need more rest days between workout days. Instead of one or two rest days per week, I am only working out every other day. I have lowered the intensity of my cardio a lot, and kept my strength training the same. Various kinds of push-ups, pull-ups and squats are my strength focus…I’m sticking with the basics to keep my muscle tone!
Diet and Pregnancy – I am obviously not restricting calories or trying to lean out at all. I am ordering my mochas as decaf… and of course making sure I take enough folic acid each day. There were two weeks where I had no appetite for anything remotely “heavy”…all I wanted was cold fruit, veggies and salad! Nothing else settled in my stomach very well. My appetite has since returned though, thank goodness! This Italian girl LOVES food! I am simply focusing on clean, whole foods (with the exception of mochas of course!) and I’m not paying attention to how many calories per day…just stopping when I am full!
Pilates and Pregnancy – Pilates is an AMAZING form of fitness during pregnancy! There are so many ways to modify each exercise and it is great for the core. I am going to keep my focus on various planks….especially after the 1st trimester is over, I am going to be very careful about avoiding any twisting-type core work, as I don’t want to exaggerate the separation of the rectus abdominis muscles!
Pole Fitness and Pregnancy – I have taken the advice of the lovely Veena at studioveena.com. For the first trimester, I am only doing tricks and inverts that I am 110% solid on, and not learning any new ones. Then for the second trimester, I will stop inverting all together. Third trimester–I’ll be keeping both feet on the floor at all times No more spinning or lifts until after baby arrives!
I have a blog devoted to this pregnancy, check it out — fitmamaofthree2013.wordpress.com
Well, that’s all for now…I hope to post more about my fitness journey throughout pregnancy
You know that one trick that you just can’t seem to get, no matter how much you practice? Your nemesis trick…well mine has been the knee hold. I have never had such a hard time nailing a trick! My goal was to get it by my birthday, which I missed, but I managed to get it within a week afterwards!
I can’t wait to try this one out street poling!
This is how the Liebster Blog Award goes:
1. Answer the questions that the person who tagged you asks.
2. Tell us 11 random things about yourself.
3. Tag 11 blogs and link them to your post.
4. Create 11 new questions for the people you tag.
Q&A from AthleteInMe to PilatesPoleKat:
- What do you love most about blogging? I love being able to write out my thoughts, ideas, progress, things that inspire me, etc…it is like a mini emotional outlet. I also love “meeting” other bloggers & reading what other bloggers have to say–their ideas, thoughts, inspirations.
- What are your hobbies except for blogging? Spending time with my husband & kids, trying out recipes, FITNESS is a huge hobby–primarily pilates & pole fitness! Taekwondo is a recent new hobby that I’ve picked up. Nail art, makeup, shoes & swimming are other hobbies of mine
- What’s your favorite blog that you read daily? I have to pick just one? I read ALL my faves daily Fitness blogs: Blogilates, Kicking The Scale, Chwennyland. I also love Temptalia, MakeUpByTiffanyD, Hand’s Free Mama, The Gracious Pantry, Cake Wrecks & What Should We Call Me
- What snack do you eat at the movies? I try to avoid junk food…but! when I DO get movie snacks, I must have popcorn & raisinettes
- If you could travel back in time, what era would you choose and why? hmmm. I am content in the era that I have been placed in! But if I had to choose, I would say in Egypt, during the new kingdom period…ancient Egyptian history fascinates me & it would be amazing to see those huge statues, temples & buildings right after they were erected!
- Iphone or Android? iPhone all the way!
- If you could pick a dream profession, what would it be? A Pilates & Pole Instructor!
- Best piece of advice you’ve ever given? It isn’t something I came up with on my own, but it is the best advice I could give anyone: “People are often unreasonable, irrational, and self-centered. Forgive them anyway. If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives. Be kind anyway. If you are successful, you will win some unfaithful friends and some genuine enemies. Succeed anyway. If you are honest and sincere people may deceive you. Be honest and sincere anyway. What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight. Create anyway. If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous. Be happy anyway. The good you do today, will often be forgotten. Do good anyway. Give the best you have, and it will never be enough. Give your best anyway. In the final analysis, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.”
- Best time to workout for you? Whenever one or both of my kids are asleep
- Must have item on you at all times? (pick one!) My wedding bands & Tiffany & Co necklace.
- Which country, other than your current residence, do you love most? Ecuador! It is absolutely beautiful there…it is on the ocean, yet has beautiful jungles, rivers, mountains & valleys. The countryside is gorgeous.
11 Random Things About Me
- I can easily out-eat my husband (although I usually choose not to lol).
- I can psych myself into or out of nearly anything.
- I love 90s music.
- I am a closet scifi/fantasy nerd.
- When I am interested in, or fascinated by something, I study it non-stop & obsessively until I know everything there is to know about it.
- I have luxating patellas.
- I feel like my family is incomplete without a dog.
- August is my favorite month of the year…my birth month + football season begins!
- I’m 1/4 Italian.
- Rodwen Celuien nan-Hirwaith is my maiden name in Sindarin (see number 4).
- My favorite number is 23.
Here are the 11 bloggers I TAG
Here Are Your 11 Questions To Answer:
- Where is your dream vacation spot & what would you do/see while there?
- Favorite dish/recipe?
- Favorite hobbies, other than blogging?
- What is your current favorite song?
- What is a quote that motivates or inspires you?
- What is the color that you gravitate to when shopping for clothes and accessories?
- If you could only listen to one decade’s stereotypical music, which decade would you choose?
- What is your favorite way to workout?
- What would you say is your greatest achievement in life?
- If you could say something that every person on earth would hear, what would it be?
- What song/movie/scent/taste/item sends you immediately into part of your past? (For example, foods like Apple Butter and Pennsylvania dutch cinnamon sticky buns make me think of the times as a young child that I spent with my Great Grandparents in PA before they died.)
I started my Sunday morning off right! Took my ItWorks multivitiamin, ate a clean breakfast, drank tons of water & did this challenge! It took me 39 minutes (the triceps workouts were a bit rough for me lol), but hey, I got it done! If you do it & time yourself, post in the comments below how long it took & which part you struggled with the most! Now I am VERY aware that my arms still need more work
So…I haven’t been training as regularly as I wanted…I had some crazy things happen in my life lately! I was in a GREAT mood today, did a TON of intense stretching, pilates & then got on the pole a bit
Flexibility is one of my main weaknesses. I just bought Alethea Austin’s “Stretching for Pole” & “Pure Splits” DVDs & started them on Friday (4/20). I am REALLY excited about finally obtaining some flexibility!
I’ve only gone through both DVDs once, and I will do a full review after I’ve done it for a few weeks. But here are a few random things that I’ve discovered so far:
- Stretching is important.
- Warm ups are VERY important.
- Gaining flexibility takes time.
- Flexibility on the pole also takes strength.
- My back is more flexible than I originally thought (yay!)
- Patience and determination is especially important with gaining flexibility.
- Flexibility makes every pole move prettier
I can’t wait to share my flexibility progress & full DVD review
I decided it was high time I put some work into shoulder mount training! This is just a progress video for me to keep up with.
This move never really stood out to me, so I’ve never gotten around to attempting it. But, I’ve realized it will help me achieve a few other tricks that DO stand out to me. I must say, this was harder for me than I thought it would be!
I discovered that: 1-my hamstrings will be a lot stronger because of brass monkey. 2-my back is not very flexy …at ALL! 3-I love hanging upside down by my legs! haha
I know this isn’t the greatest picture, but oh well