What’s So Great About Pilates?
I’m on my first business trip with ItWorks sitting in my hotel room as I type this. I just finished working out, so I decided to tell you what I love about pilates and why it is my workout of choice!
1) ANYONE CAN SUCCESSFULLY DO PILATES. When I began taking classes at a studio, I was one of the youngest students attending! There were women of ALL ages, from in their 70s to 17. Women with spinal problems & joint problems, to women in good health. My sister in law & I were rolling off our mats our first few classes, while the 70 year old with back problems was doing the moves full of grace and agility. And pilates is not just for women, our instructor was a man!
2) PILATES GIVES NOTICEABLE RESULTS, INSIDE AND OUT. Pilates is focused on building core strength and overall balance. It improves posture, strength & balance. You will begin to notice inch loss & long, lean muscle tone. This is the reason I began pilates–I was not concerned with the numbers on the scale. I just wanted to LOOK and FEEL my best. ((Without pilates, I am 110 lbs but with no tone or strength. I look bloated & feel “squishy”. My arms and legs are scrawny and stick-like. Lots of girls I know call this “skinny-fat”. You can be skinny, but still have too much body fat. Being “skinny-fat” is NOT cute! I don’t feel my best at 110 lbs. When I consistently workout with pilates, I am 117 lbs, with long & lean muscle tone. My waistline is smaller/tighter, my legs and arms are more muscular and toned & I look and feel much stronger. Bring on the extra 7 pounds of muscle!!!))
3) PILATES CAN BE DONE ALMOST ANYWHERE. Because pilates uses your own body as resistance, you don’t NEED weights or equipment. All you need is yourself, proper form & a comfortable floor space. If you have a chair, short table or stairs available, that could be used as your “equipment”. Even when sitting in a car or airplane, you can “zip & tuck”–which is a controlled way of “sucking in” your tummy to tighten your core.
4) PILATES CAN BE MODIFIED TO BE EASIER OR MORE DIFFICULT. You always want to challenge yourself and your body when working out. The human body adjusts & adapts quickly! There are so many variations of every single exercise, using the angle of your legs, arms, shoulders, hips, etc. If you DO have weights or resistance equipment, USE IT! I’ve been known to use chairs, counter tops, tables & stairs to add more of a challenge to simple moves. You don’t need much but a little creativity to make your pilates workout more challenging! On the flip side of that, if you have an injury or are pregnant, there are modifications to make the workouts less stressful, yet still challenging to the muscle group you are working on. Pilates will meet you while still challenging you at ANY level!
5) YOU CAN DO BOTH CORE WORK AND CARDIO WITH PILATES. There are many ways to get your heart pumping while doing your strength workouts! Get into plank position (which is great for your core), and add a running motion to get your heart going…and you have mountain climbers! Do caterpillar, but add a reaching jump after every standing position. The list goes on and on! Again, get creative! Cardio is important for your health AND for how you look. You can have the most amazing abs, but without cardio they will be covered in a layer of fat.
These are the top 5 reasons I prefer pilates! As a busy mom and wife, I need something quick, simple and effective. Pilates is IT! 🙂
If you want videos on something specific, please let me know! I have many searches on my blog about pilates in general, but nothing more specific than that. I would be happy to help you out!