Category Archives: It Works!
As you can see, I have majorly slacked in posting on this blog! I am 9 weeks pregnant with my third child. This is my first pregnancy since I’ve become more dedicated to fitness 3 years ago. I have been homeschooling my oldest (Kindergarden!) and working my home-based business with ItWorks. Life has been busy!
I have learned a lot in the past few weeks about staying fit through pregnancy. This article on Bodybuilding.com is my favorite that I have come across so far. It is certainly worth a read for anyone trying to conceive or mamas who are expecting! For me personally, with the first trimester taking a toll on my energy levels, I have noticed that I need more rest days between workout days. Instead of one or two rest days per week, I am only working out every other day. I have lowered the intensity of my cardio a lot, and kept my strength training the same. Various kinds of push-ups, pull-ups and squats are my strength focus…I’m sticking with the basics to keep my muscle tone!
Diet and Pregnancy – I am obviously not restricting calories or trying to lean out at all. I am ordering my mochas as decaf… and of course making sure I take enough folic acid each day. There were two weeks where I had no appetite for anything remotely “heavy”…all I wanted was cold fruit, veggies and salad! Nothing else settled in my stomach very well. My appetite has since returned though, thank goodness! This Italian girl LOVES food! 😉 I am simply focusing on clean, whole foods (with the exception of mochas of course!) and I’m not paying attention to how many calories per day…just stopping when I am full!
Pilates and Pregnancy – Pilates is an AMAZING form of fitness during pregnancy! There are so many ways to modify each exercise and it is great for the core. I am going to keep my focus on various planks….especially after the 1st trimester is over, I am going to be very careful about avoiding any twisting-type core work, as I don’t want to exaggerate the separation of the rectus abdominis muscles!
Pole Fitness and Pregnancy – I have taken the advice of the lovely Veena at studioveena.com. For the first trimester, I am only doing tricks and inverts that I am 110% solid on, and not learning any new ones. Then for the second trimester, I will stop inverting all together. Third trimester–I’ll be keeping both feet on the floor at all times 😉 No more spinning or lifts until after baby arrives!
I have a blog devoted to this pregnancy, check it out — fitmamaofthree2013.wordpress.com
Well, that’s all for now…I hope to post more about my fitness journey throughout pregnancy 🙂
The Ultimate Body Applicator
I’ve been researching each ingredient individually and here is what I’ve found! (Various sources on the internet, livestrong.com was a main source.) Another distributor of ItWorks products had a doctor tell her that these are like a giant multivitamin for the skin! Love it 🙂 ~Kat
- Horse Chestnut Extract – (a popular herbal anti-aging ingredient!) it is a compound that protects and strengthens the veins and capillaries. It prevents cellular filtration (leaking). It pomotes better and healthier collagen. It fights inflammation.
- Centella asiatica (Hydrocotil) Leaf Extract – promotes healing, as well as preventing the formation of scar tissue. Its historic use was in the healing of leprosy wounds, as well as ulcerated skin, wounds, burns and ulcers. Research has shown that asiaticoside can also help provide treatment for leprosy and skin tuberculosis. The triterpenes in Centella asiatica are able to renew the collagen and restore tissue firmness and skin elasticity. Apart from this it also has anti-psoriatic properties.
- Green Tea Extract – green tea is a natural antioxidant & is great for protection against skin cancer among many other things.
- Bladderwrack Extract – filled with minerals that help nourish and cleanse the skin of toxins that cause dryness, wrinkles and excess fluid retention.
- Hedera helix (English Ivy) Extract – antifungal, antiviral, antioxidant… also used to treat sunburn (anti-inflammatory). reduces water retention. reduces cellulite.
- Horsetail Leaf & Stem Extract – reduces hemorrhaging (including menstrual bleeding), promotes faster healing of wounds. Diuretic (promotes release of toxins). Antiseptic. Astringent.
- Butcher’s Broom Extract – promotes healthy circulation, preventing varicose & spider veins. decreases cholesterol in blood. It has diuretic properties that help to rid the body of excess water and toxins. Anti-inflammatory. It’s considered to have a balancing effect on hormone levels, which may help with the mood swings associated with PMS and puberty.
- Guarana Seed Extract – One of the most powerful benefits of guarana is its energizing effect. Boosts metabolism by increasing thermogenesis. Good for cardiovascular health.
- Jojoba Seed Oil – amazing moisturizer. minimizes fine lines & wrinkles. softens and adds suppleness to skin. promotes rejuvenation of skin. Unclogs pores. Prevents dehydration.
- Menthol – Gives cooling sensation…used as a topical analgesic to relieve minor aches and pains.
- Camphor – Antimicrobial. Produces a cooling feeling similar to menthol.
- Panthenol – plant-based form of Vitamin B. Penetrates into the deepest layers of skin. Diminishes wrinkles by moisturizing into the deepest layers of skin. Reduces inflammation, soothes irritation and initiates the rebuilding of your skin. Counteracts bacteria.
- Retinyl Palmitate – Vitamin A, increases collagen production to reduce wrinkles. Used in many anti aging products.
- Rosemary Leaf Oil – tones and firms skin, reduces puffiness/swelling. astringent. antibiotic. Circulatory benefits of rosemary lead to an improved complexion, allowing nutrients to effectively reach the skin while removing waste products and toxins.
- Eucalyptus Leaf Oil – promotes regeneration of skin tissue. improves blood circulation. antiseptic, antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral.