As you can see, I have majorly slacked in posting on this blog! I am 9 weeks pregnant with my third child. This is my first pregnancy since I’ve become more dedicated to fitness 3 years ago. I have been homeschooling my oldest (Kindergarden!) and working my home-based business with ItWorks. Life has been busy!
I have learned a lot in the past few weeks about staying fit through pregnancy. This article on Bodybuilding.com is my favorite that I have come across so far. It is certainly worth a read for anyone trying to conceive or mamas who are expecting! For me personally, with the first trimester taking a toll on my energy levels, I have noticed that I need more rest days between workout days. Instead of one or two rest days per week, I am only working out every other day. I have lowered the intensity of my cardio a lot, and kept my strength training the same. Various kinds of push-ups, pull-ups and squats are my strength focus…I’m sticking with the basics to keep my muscle tone!
Diet and Pregnancy – I am obviously not restricting calories or trying to lean out at all. I am ordering my mochas as decaf… and of course making sure I take enough folic acid each day. There were two weeks where I had no appetite for anything remotely “heavy”…all I wanted was cold fruit, veggies and salad! Nothing else settled in my stomach very well. My appetite has since returned though, thank goodness! This Italian girl LOVES food! 😉 I am simply focusing on clean, whole foods (with the exception of mochas of course!) and I’m not paying attention to how many calories per day…just stopping when I am full!
Pilates and Pregnancy – Pilates is an AMAZING form of fitness during pregnancy! There are so many ways to modify each exercise and it is great for the core. I am going to keep my focus on various planks….especially after the 1st trimester is over, I am going to be very careful about avoiding any twisting-type core work, as I don’t want to exaggerate the separation of the rectus abdominis muscles!
Pole Fitness and Pregnancy – I have taken the advice of the lovely Veena at studioveena.com. For the first trimester, I am only doing tricks and inverts that I am 110% solid on, and not learning any new ones. Then for the second trimester, I will stop inverting all together. Third trimester–I’ll be keeping both feet on the floor at all times 😉 No more spinning or lifts until after baby arrives!
I have a blog devoted to this pregnancy, check it out — fitmamaofthree2013.wordpress.com
Well, that’s all for now…I hope to post more about my fitness journey throughout pregnancy 🙂
I’m on day 18 of the Blogilates 90 day challenge meal plan. Cassey Ho at Blogilates designed the meal plan off of the Eat Clean Diet, specifically the Fitness Competitor “Cutting” diet plan, by Tosca Reno. I have learned a lot over the past 18 days, and I’m glad to say I’ve discovered a few new (to me) snacks that I will ALWAYS have from now on!
- FRUIT. Of course this is at the top of my list…These are easily apart of my desserts now, as well as my pre-workout morning snack! Sliced up apples are my favorite. Apples, bananas, blueberries, grapes, cantaloupe, kiwi…the list is long! I’ve discovered that over-ripe bananas actually make an amazing ice cream too! (Recipe HERE!)
- NUTS. Almonds, pistachios, walnuts, sunflower seeds, brazil nuts, cashews, hazelnuts….another long list here! Avoid nuts that are overly processed or are covered in salt. Being processed destroys a lot of the nutrients. Look at the list of ingredients on the package…if it says anything other than the actual nuts, move on! “Raw” or “natural” on the bag is usually a good place to start.
- VEGGIES. Raw celery, carrots, broccoli are great for on-the-go. My all-time-favorite is SWEET POTATOES!!! I slice them up, coat them in a little bit of coconut oil and BAKE the slices for 20 mins on 425°F. I will probably eat a sweet potato every day for the rest of my life since I discovered this slice-and-bake deliciousness. Seriously–go TRY it!!!
- YOGURT. Greek low- or non-fat yogurt is the best! My favorite brand is Chobani. They have smaller 6 oz cups with fruit on the bottom. Tons of protein! If you are avoiding sugar in any form, go for plain greek yogurt. I also love getting a big container of plain greek yogurt to use in place of sour cream….yummmmm!
- HUMMUS. Tons of protein, great for dipping veggies in!
- GRAINS. Anything made of WHOLE grains is great. Try making your own granola bars (Recipe Example!) Whole grain toast is another thing I like to snack on in the mornings. (HERE is my favorite brand of bread!) Try making your own oatmeal cookie snack, like THIS. Or tasty banana muffins made of whole grains! I really enjoy these high protein yogurt oatmeal pancakes.
- OTHER. Hard boiled eggs are very easy for on-the-go. Cottage cheese is great– I eat 1/2 cup at the end of the day. This is a great snack when you are building muscle. (If the texture weirds you out but you still wanna give it a go, sprinkle some sunflower seeds in it.)
I hope this post was helpful 🙂 What are YOUR favorite clean/healthy things to snack on?
90 days of eating clean thru the holidays. Yes I’m crazy, but I’m excited for what day 90 will bring! I am posting daily on our 90 day challenge blog, http://crankyfitness.tumblr.com …so for the first week we are focusing on cutting out SUGAR! Fruit does not count, nor does honey (in oatcake batter only) or agave nectar (sparingly). Next week, we are totally cutting out ALL flour and beef in addition to no sugar!
We plan on working out an hour per day, pilates & cardio…and pole strength every other day!
Here are a few pictures of some of the things I am eating each day. Breakfasts generally consist of eggs, oatmeal & fruit…I tried to get creative & mixed my oatmeal, eggs & banana together then baked it. Lunches are salads with roma tomatoes and tuna or chicken, with balsamic vinegar. Dinners SHOULD be chicken (or fish) with veggies….this week I’ve had chicken or egg burritos (with rice & tortillas, but we are cutting these out next week.) Snacks are fruit, yogurt, cottage cheese, and nuts.
I’ve been taking my multivitamin (Vitals), Greens & Thermofit (from katsays.itworks.net ) every day. Ohhhh the difference these supplements make!!!